Projecting On To Me

I wanted to create something to piece the performance together as I have a lot of different sections but I want them to flow together. I wanted to find something that shows the process so taking parts from childhood and mixing them with teenage aesthetic. I thought of using cartons from the late 90’s and 00’s, from when I was a child. But having music that is slightly more sexualise played over the top so they mix together. As these are both cartoons and music from my childhood it makes it personal but it is also relatable for others my age as they would recognise the characters and music from their childhood too.

I used the cartoons; Kim Possible, Barney, Bear in the Big Blue House, Teletubbies, Arthur, and Power Puff Girls. These are aimed at range of ages but all in the child category, the clips will be played one after the other with music played over the top. The songs I have selected are; T-Spoon – Sex on the beach, David Guetta and Akon – Sexy Beach, Kevin Lyttle – Turn Me On, Spice Girls – 2 Become 1, Sean Paul – Temperature, and Vengaboys – Boom Boom Boom Boom. All of these songs have sexual undertones that are incorporate for children. However this does not stop them listening and hearing these lyrics. I am having the video projected on to my stomach during the performance as it symbolises impression music, television and the media have on child. My character is absorbing the sexual content along and this changes their view of them self and the world. I got inspiration for this unique way of projecting from creating the video itself, as I use a clip from the children’s show Teletubbies. They have mini televisions on their stomachs, I thought doing this would be another connection to the idea of childhood but also show that my bare body is absorbing the content.

I have chosen to have this projection in the show because it symbolises the sexual undertone of puberty for girls they are objectified as the stereotypical sexy school girl or the jail bait. As in this time of their lives they are encouraged to wear makeup, push up bras and heels as that is what adults look like and they want to embody that.

Works Cited:

Cole, S. (2017) Video Projection