Bringing Everything Together

Sound clip:

When the audience enter I wanted to have music playing but I wasn’t sure what music I wanted because I already have multiple songs playing thought-out the projection. I wanted something that would work with the piece but wasn’t well known or recognisable, it would just be playing in the background. This is when I thought about the props and set I had in mind, I have brought a music box I had purchased in Disney Land Paris when I was younger. The tune was beautiful and I knew this was a sound I had to have in my show. However I didn’t want just the music box on its own as I felt it gave the show a creepy, spooky, horror film vibe and that was not the aesthetic I was aiming for. I was using photographs from my childhood to burn and they captured the innocence in a snapshot so I thought about using audio clips from old family videos.

The sound was slightly muffled, fuzzy and grainy which was perfect as it gave the impression it was filmed in the past and was filmed on a low quality video recorder, which it was fourteen years ago. I merged these home videos together and used noise removal and equalisation on Audacity then I added the recording of the music box. I edited the music box recording by gradually reduced play back speed and then reversed the last two sections. I think the sound clip will introduce the topic of the piece and start the audience guessing and making up their own opinions to the meaning of the show.

Home_Video_Full_Chime_001:

Chime_001:

Home_Video_Full_001: